Introduction to the course:
The two years Master degree program in Geography consists of four semesters and offers advanced courses on Geography including Applied Geomorphology, Applied Environmental Geography, Advanced Quantitative Techniques, Advanced Geoinformatics, Regional Planning and Development etc. Independent dissertation project in various fields of specialization are conducted in the Post Graduate Program. Beside, field project, contemporary research project, report writing, presentation and communication skills have been incorporated in the course.
What are the learning outcomes?
- Acquiring advanced knowledge of concepts and theories of geography
- Advanced statistical and geospatial knowledge for data analysis and visualization using software packages
- Enhancement of research skills, particularly in the conceptualization, designing and implementation of research projects
- Making the students capable to write research project , papers and to defend their research
- Increasing the observation, practical skills and understanding real world problems through field visit, data collection in the field by modern instruments, socio-economic survey
- Enrichment of communication skills, required for oral presentation in conference
- Self-assurance skill enhancement, particularly in developing students’ confidence in tackling independent research project and independent coursework study
- Escalating team work and engagement skills, related to the enhancement of intellectual relationship between among the peer group and student-supervisor to wider the academic environment.
- Environmental Geography
- Applied Geomorphology and Hazard
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Remote Sensing and GIS
The department has Cartographic, Geoinformatics and Physical Geography Laboratories that well equipped with modern tools and equipment for data collection, analysis and map making.
- The cartographic laboratory has a large collection of drawing tools, wall maps, topographic sheets, aerial photos and satellite imageries.
- Physical laboratory has several field instruments like GPS, Dumpy Level, Prismatic, Brunton Compass, Theodolite, Abney Level, soil and water testing kits, air sampler etc.
- The geoinformatics Lab is designed with computers and important software that facilitates students in geospatial analysis, geo-computation, and documentation.
- Students are guided to adopt modern techniques instead of classical approach. Software has been taught for statistical operation, programming, image processing and GIS analysis in practical classes.
The students from M.Sc. program are sent to various organizations for industry internship where they can adopt corporate skills. The major emphasize is given in geoinformatics domain to obtain experiences of working in various research projects. In the past academic years students are sent to to the following institutions for industry internship:
- Regional Remote Sensing Centre (RRSSC) Kolkata (ISRO)
- Anudip foundation;
- Indian Red Cross Society
- Opsis System Private Limited
Current students are motivated to opt their internships in
- Ministry Of Human Resource Development,
- Niti Aayog,
- Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change etc.
- Health care accessibility and deprivation: a settlement based study
- Rainwater Harvesting at Adamas Knowledge City
- Potential effect on non-communicable diseases due to the modification of urban climate
- Analytical study on the relationship between Land Surface Temperature and vegetation health
- Noise pollution & it’s impact on human health
- Gender Parity and Socio- Cultural Change
- Urban facility-satisfaction mapping: a real challenge for unplanned cities
- Problems and prospects of domestic medical tourism
- Healthcare Infrastructure and Patient Mobility
- Cultural Landscapes and its Socio-Economic Implications
Placement & Career/Research Opportunities:
- After completing PG program students are advised to focus in various sectors like research, corporate job in geoinformatics and others, administrative job etc. based on their interests.
- Currently the department is in process to tie-up with companies for offering jobs to students in geoinformatics discipline.
- In the previous batches few students are engaged in private and government sectors, while others are preparing themselves for qualifying NET and government jobs.
- A few examples of students who have been placed from the previous batches are:
- Sumana Dey (2018) – Camino Group of Companies
- Arkamita Adhikari (2018) – Tourism Industry
- Nandita Deb (2017) – Assistant Professor, Pandu College, Assam
- Shakyo Ganguly (2017) – Cactus Publications
50% overall in Graduation with respective subjects.