Introduction to the course:
The Department of Geography offers three years Under Graduate (UG) program in Geography (Honours) under CBCS course structure. The UG course is spread over six semesters where various fields of Geography have been taught. These include Geomorphology and Geotectonics, Climatology, Soil Geography, Biogeography, Social Geography, Cultural Geography, Economic Geography, Political Geography, Cartography, Statistics, GIS and Remote Sensing etc. In this course, the major emphasis is given to understand the fundamentals of physical and social processes, skill development for data collection, analysis and visualization through laboratory training. Besides, focus is also given in skill enhancement for assignment writing, oral presentation techniques, independent research capabilities.
What are the learning outcomes?
- Understand how different landforms and physical environment are formed by different physical processes.
- Know the socio-cultural aspects and their spatial variation and pattern
- Understand the relationships between society and the environment, and feedback mechanism of their relation.
- Knowledge of protecting and conserving the environmental resources for sustainable development.
- Collection, analysis, visualization and interpretation of spatial and non-spatial data for solving real world problems.
- Creative problem-solving mind, able to communicate with a diverse audience and apply practical analytical and technical skills in a diversity of settings.
- Ability to prepare, interpret and analyze maps for a variety of purposes through geo-computation, cartography, remote sensing and GIS techniques.
- Use geographic information systems software and other applications to display and analyze spatial data for a variety of contemporary issues such as demographic changes, economic inequality, environmental justice, urbanization, and more.
- Enhanced research skills for research design, data collection, analysis, referencing and report writing.
- Develop quality for lectures and research presentation, good communication, leadership, work in group, and other extracurricular activities.
The discipline specific elective or specializations offered from the department are:
- Population and Settlement Geography
- Resource Geography
- Agriculture Geography
- Urban Geography
- Political Geography
- Geography of Health and Wellbeing
- Hydrology and Oceanography
- Geography of Tourism and Transport
The department has Cartographic, Geoinformatics and Physical Geography Laboratories that are well equipped with modern tools and equipment for data collection, analysis and map making.
- The cartographic laboratory has a large collection of drawing tools, wall maps, topographic sheets, aerial photos and satellite imageries.
- Physical laboratory has several field instruments like GPS, Dumpy Level, Prismatic, Brunton Compass, Theodolite, Abney Level, soil and water testing kits, air sampler etc.
- The geoinformatics Lab is designed with computers and important software that facilitates students in geospatial analysis, geo-computation, and documentation.
Internship and Project Work:
The students from UG program are sent to various organizations for industry internship where they can adopt corporate skills. The major emphasize is given in geoinformatics domain to learn how to solve various research problems. In the recent years, students have opted industry internship in Opsis System Private Limited.
- Delineation of Fringe using Geospatial Techniques: Attempts have been made to delineate the fringe, based on land use pattern and its diversity. From a range of diversity indices, Shannon entropy is used for delineating the boundary of fringe in the study area. This paper has been presented in Tech X, 2019 at Adamas University.
- Vegetation health assessment from space: a case study of Sundarban: The study helped to assess quality of vegetation of Sundarban Mangrove area with space borne image data. The project has been carried out by the Undergraduate and Postgraduate students of Department of Geography using Digital Image Processing.
- Cultural Eutrophication: In collaboration with department of Biotechnology, the final year students of Geography undergraduate program have tried to analyse the level of water pollution and spread awareness to the citizens about the impact of using the polluted water. This project has been presented in the International Conference on Current Trends in Higher Education at Adamas University and secured the second position.
Placement & Career Opportunities / Research Opportunities
- After graduating from Adamas University the students from the previous batches are more enthusiastic about higher education and research, rather than engaged in a job. As the students have better prospect and opportunities while they will complete higher education (M.Sc. or Ph.D.), the students are often motivated for higher education after graduation instead seeking jobs.
- However, the university provides opportunities to the students for placement in various Geoinformatics farms.
- The university also offers professional courses along with their regular courses for preparing for competitive exams.
50% overall in 10+2 with respective subjects