Introduction to the course:
The PG Diploma programme aims to create professionals by enhancing the knowledge of the students of Remote Sensing and GIS, Geo-computation, Programming and Geostatistics. The course is spread over two semesters. The first semester emphasizes on the theoretical and practical knowledge of raster and vector data properties, data processing and handling techniques, aerial photography, GNSS, and statistical techniques. The second semester is designed for enhancing the theoretical and practical knowledge of advanced techniques of raster and vector data processing, data analysis and visualization in python programming and ‘R’, building research aptitude. A major project in the last semester will introduce the students with the real-world application of Geoinformatics in various fields viz., urban planning, urban climate, agriculture and soils, forestry & ecology, geosciences, hydrological modelling and, disaster management studies.
What are the learning outcomes?
- In-depth understanding of Remote Sensing and digital image processing
- Application of Geographic Information System (GIS) and GNSS technologies in various fields
- Enhancement of knowledge of programming language (R and python) for statistical data analysis and data visualization.
- Application of the knowledge to solve the real world problem.
- Geomorphology and hydrology
- Agriculture and forestry
- Environmental management
- Disaster management
- Demography and urban studies
- Transport and tourism
The Computer Lab is designed with 40 computers and equipped with Geoinformatics and Statistical packages.
- Students will prepare a dissertation report with the help of designated mentor on a specific specialization field.
- There is one minor project in the first semester of two weeks, and a major project of three months duration in the last semester.
- Interested and efficient students may be provided opportunities for working in industrial projects as an intern.
Placement & Career Opportunities / Research Opportunities
Placement opportunities may be offered to the students in various industrial organizations related to application of Geoinformatics.
- E./B.Tech. From any discipline
- Sc. in any discipline
- A. /B.Sc. in Geography
- Sc./M.Tech. in Computer Science
- A./M.Sc. in Physics/Mathematics/Statistics/Geography from a recognized UGC/AICTE university/institute.