Introduction to the course:
The department is offering five years integrated masters program (M.Sc.) in geography with the optional exit after three years as graduate degree (B.Sc.). The objective of this program to eliminate the redundancy in syllabus curriculum and inclusion of advanced knowledge especially after three years of the commencement of the program. The program is spread over ten semesters focusing fundamentals of geography, advance knowledge in applied geography, geospatial technology, programming, geo-computation, building research capabilities and communication skills. The syllabus of the first six semesters (first three years) is similar to the graduate program (B.Sc.), while next four semesters (last two years) the curriculum incorporated advanced concepts of the discipline. Overall, the program consists of several branches of geography like Physical Geography (Geomorphology, Geotectonics, Climatology, Soil Geography, Biogeography, hydrology and oceanography), Applied Physical Geography, Human Geography (Social, Cultural, Economic and Political Geography), Cartography, Statistics, Advanced Geoinformatics, Regional Planning and Development, and various specializations.
What are the learning outcomes?
- Understand how different landforms and physical environment are formed by different physical processes, and their application.
- To know socio-cultural aspects and their spatial variation and pattern, and solving real world problems
- Understand the relationships between society and the environment, and feedback mechanism of their relation.
- The knowledge to protect and conserve environment and resources for sustainable planning and development.
- Collection, analysis, visualization and interpretation of spatial and non-spatial data for solving real world problems.
- Advanced knowledge in concepts and theories of geography, data analysis and visualization through advanced statistical knowledge, learning software packages for geo-computation and geospatial analysis.
- Creative problem-solving, able to communicate with a diverse audience and apply practical analytical and technical skills in a diversity of settings.
- Ability to prepare, interpret and analyze maps for a variety of purposes through geo-computation, cartography, remote sensing and GIS techniques.
- Use geographic information systems software and other applications to display and analyze spatial data for a variety of contemporary issues such as demographic changes, economic inequality, environmental justice, urbanization, and more.
- Enhanced research skills for research design, data collection, analysis, referencing and report writing.
- Develop excellence for lectures and research presentation, communication, leadership, team work, and other extracurricular activities.
- Urban Ecology, Environment and conservation
- Geomorphology and Hazard
- Urban landscape, infrastructure and management
- Remote sensing and GIS
The department has Cartographic, Geoinformatics and Physical Geography Laboratories that well equipped with modern tools and equipment for data collection, analysis and map making.
- The cartographic laboratory has a large collection of drawing tools, wall maps, topographic sheets, aerial photos and satellite imageries.
- Physical laboratory has several field instruments like GPS, Dumpy Level, Prismatic, Brunton Compass, Theodolite, Abney Level, soil and water testing kits, air sampler etc.
- The Geoinformatics Lab is designed with computers and important software that facilitates students in geospatial analysis, geo-computation, and documentation.
- Students are guided to adopt modern techniques instead of classical approach. Software has been taught for statistical operation, programming, image processing and GIS analysis in practical classes.
- Centre for Water & Air Analysis provides high-end instruments like Atomic Absorption Spectrometer (AAS), Real time air pollution monitoring using “Honeywell Multi Gas Detector”, ‘Airveda Air Quality Monitor for air and water quality assessment.
The students from integrated M.Sc. program will be sent to various organizations for industry internship where they can adopt corporate skills. The major emphasize is given in geoinformatics domain to obtain experiences of working in various research projects.
In the past academic years students are sent to to the following institutions for industry internship:
- Regional Remote Sensing Centre (RRSSC) Kolkata (ISRO)
- Anudip foundation;
- Indian Red Cross Society
- Opsis System Private Limited
Current students are motivated to opt their internships in
- Ministry Of Human Resource Development,
- Niti Aayog,
- Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change etc.
- Delineation of Fringe using Geospatial Techniques:
- Vegetation health assessment from space: a case study of Sundarban:
- Cultural Eutrophication:
- Health care accessibility and deprivation: a settlement based study:
- Rainwater Harvesting at Adamas Knowledge City
- Potential effect on non-communicable diseases due to the modification of urban climate
- Environmental criticality assessment
- Noise pollution & it’s impact on human health
- Gender Parity and Socio- Cultural Change
- Urban facility-satisfaction mapping: a real challenge for unplanned cities
- Problems and prospects of domestic medical tourism: Healthcare Infrastructure and Patient Mobility:
- Cultural Landscapes and its Socio-Economic Implications
Placement & Career/Research Opportunities:
- Integrated course has an exist option. After completion of three years with Geography, students will be able to work in various research projects and found suitable for various government jobs.
- After completing 5 years course they will be able to handle research projects,
- They can be suitable for corporate jobs related to Geoinformatics,
- The university also offers professional courses along with their regular courses for preparing for competitive exams.
- The department is in process to tie-up with companies for offering jobs to students in geoinformatics discipline.
- In the previous batches form M.A./M.Sc. program few students are engaged in private and government sectors, while others are preparing themselves for qualifying NET and government jobs.
- Few students achievements include:
- Sumana Dey (2018) – Camino Group of Companies;
- Arkamita Adhikari (2018) – Tourism Industry;
- Nandita Deb (2017) – Assistant Professor, Pandu College, Assam;
- Shakyo Ganguly (2017) – Cactus Publications.