Introduction to the course
This is an undergraduate course in Forensic Science, offered by the School of Basic and Applied Sciences. Forensic science is an interdisciplinary domain in the truest sense possible, incorporating almost all known conventional subjects. It is primarily concerned with the application of scientific principles for the investigation of crime. The three-year undergraduate course is divided into six semesters. Candidates should have completed 10+2 or its equivalent exam in Science stream. It is a tailor-made course for those students who
- want to get trained in a fashion so as to see the world with a different lens, where using the very latest in technology, forensic scientists convert the clues collected from a crime scene into evidence admissible in a court of law.
- want to be specialists to examine and evaluate physical evidence, using chemical, microscopic, instrumental and physical methods of analysis.
- are willing to specialise in subjects such as Crime Scene Investigation, Fingerprints, Forensic Toxicology, Cyber Forensics, Environmental Forensic, Questioned Documents, Forensic Ballistics and Explosives, DNA Profiling, Forensic Medicine at higher levels i.e. college.
How is B.Sc. (H) Forensic Science Course Beneficial?
- The UG course lays the foundation stones of how to deal with a multidisciplinary subject. How to have a grasp on each of the core subjects while not losing focus on the interdisciplinary theme.
- The students will be eligible for admission to PG level courses with specialisation in domains suitable to their capacities and interests.
- After successful completion of the course the candidates can find employment in organisations dealing with forensic science.
- The students can appear for various grad-level competitive to become a teacher in schools and after having passed the Master’s degree plus NET exam they can become a permanent lecturer in colleges/universities.
- The Students will be able to work in different government and private Forensic Science Laboratories as Forensic Experts.
- Students will be able to start their own laboratory or start detective/ investigative agencies which will also enhance their entrepreneurial skills.
What are the learning outcomes?
- Practice the knowledge of science to understand the nature of complex forensic problems.
- Recognize, formulate and investigate complex forensic problems reaching corroborated conclusions using principles of natural sciences.
- Organize exposition for intricate forensic issues and propagate knowledge for public health and safety, along with the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Design of experiments and analyse data for synthesis of information to reach on valid conclusions.
- Students will become proficient to use various state- of-art equipment helpful in solving cases.
- To work as forensic science experts and provide assistance to the Criminal Justice System and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the society
- Demonstrate the knowledge of forensic science for sustainable development of man, society and environment.
- Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the forensic lab professionals.
- Work proficiently as a member of crime investigating teams.
- Proficiently communicate with the forensic community and being able to understand and write effective reports, documentation and make effective presentations.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the forensic skills and apply these to one’s own work, or as a member in a team, to manage projects.
- Continue their education either towards a master degree or a research degree.
The discipline specific electives or specializations offered in this program.
Lab Infrastructure (if applicable):
Chemistry/Engineering Chemistry Wet Laboratory
Chemistry Instrumentation Laboratory
Chemistry research laboratory
Forensic Laboratory (under construction)
As per our University norms students will be encouraged and facilitated to take up compulsory summer internship in relevant industry or national/international research institute. As the University laboratories have some basic and also advanced instrumentation facilities, the students can acquire practical knowledge and they can get a first-hand experience of working in the real world. Internship and project work give student an extra brink in their career, which subsequently enhance their job scope.
Placement & Career Opportunities / Research Opportunities
|Govt. Sector||Police Department, Crime Branches, CBI, CID, Forensic Science Laboratories, IB, Banks, Defense/Army, Courts, Quality Control Bureau, Narcotics Dept., Universities, Hospitals, Organizations etc|
|Private Sector||Detective Agencies, Banks, Insurance Companies, Universities, Hospitals, Security Services Agencies, Helpful to Lawyers/Advocates, Law Firms, Private Companies, Own Private Practice etc…|
|Job Titles / Posts||Forensic Expert, Forensic Scientist, Forensic Investigator, Crime Scene Investigator, Handwriting Expert, Document Expert, Document Examiner, Fraud Examiner, Forensic Analyst, Scientific Officer, Security Expert, Forensic Consultant, Detective, Investigating Officer, Teacher / Professor, Crime Reporter, Forensic Engineer, Forensic Psychologist, Fingerprint Expert, Law Consultant, Government Examiner, Instructor, Genetics Experts, Environment Analyst, Technicians, Forensic Medical Examiners, Technician etc…|
|Courses / Degree||B. Sc. / M. Sc. / Diploma / Certification / Doctorate etc in Forensic Science, Criminology, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Science, Law, Psychology, Information Technology, Computer etc (Depend on Job / Post requirements|
Students should complete 10+2 in Science with at least 50% marks with the combination of CPM or CPB.